Resume for Mark Roseman
SUMMARYProven leader of high-performance software teams, able to creatively leverage novel software architectures and technologies to deliver innovative software products, with an emphasis on reliability and ease-of-use. Over fifteen years experience in the field of Internet collaboration.
WORK EXPERIENCECourseForum Technologies. Owner. (Aug/2002-present)
Founded and directed small software company developing innovative social software technologies. Created and brought core products into the marketplace.
Sonexis, Inc. Principal Engineer. (Jan/2001-Apr/2002)
Extend and apply innovative web conferencing technology for two divergent product lines (telephony-centered eLearning ASP, business conferencing servers).
- Manage engineering feature team: develop/approve key design/architecture decisions, supervise processes, project management, mentor team members, implementation, engineering reviews
- Determine product strategy, features, and design in conjunction with product marketing, senior management
- Define and deliver on-time software releases with various geographically dispersed engineering, QA, and marketing groups
Founded and directed technology strategy of Internet collaboration software startup from initial company creation to its successful acquisition.
- Developed and productized initial cross-platform client-server application
- Successfully managed major transition of technology to Web/Java based environment, and led subsequent product evolution
- Responsible for early stage business planning, corporate development, PR, finance, web design, customer support
- Hired and mentored software development team, led software product planning, design, development, and testing, created white papers
Designed and developed software architectures and prototype applications for advanced collaborative technologies project sponsored by Intel Corp.
- Responsible for overall development, design, testing, usability evaluations and deployment of key software, and support of end users
- Supervised and supported undergraduate and graduate student researchers
- Authored or co-authored over twenty journal and conference papers
Led team in successful re-engineering and evolution of a next-generation, standards-based, cross-platform client-server enterprise email application.
- Responsible for concept, definition and evolution of product user interface, system architecture and design, substantial implementation
- Supervised and project managed four developers and technical writer
Held technical positions with Northern Telecom, University of Calgary, IBM Canada Labs, Great-West Life Assurance Company, and University of Manitoba.
EDUCATIONMaster of Science, Computer Science.  (Completed 1993)
University of Calgary. Specialization in Human-Computer Interaction and Computer Supported Cooperative Work.
Bachelor of Science, Computer Science. (Completed 1991)
University of Calgary. Minor in Philosophy.
TECHNICAL SKILLSAreas of Expertise
- Collaboration and conferencing technology and applications
- Software architecture design, software process, system implementation
- Internet applications, network protocols, standards and utilities
- Cross-platform application development (Windows, Unix, Mac)
- Software usability, graphical user interface design, user evaluations
- C, C++
- HTML, AOLserver, Apache/CGI
- Unix (Linux, Solaris, SGI, etc.), Windows (95/98/NT/2000), MacOS
- Visual Basic, Pascal, Modula-2, Smalltalk, Lisp, Prolog, Ada, assembler
- MacOS toolbox, Metrowerks Codewarrior, MPW, InterViews, XVT
- Unix scripting languages (sh/csh, awk, etc.) and utilities
- DOS, OS/2, MVS, VM, VMS
- Microsoft Office, Microsoft Project
- Strong technical writing and presentation skills
- Project management and planning
- Small business management and startup experience
- Supervision and mentoring
- Member of ACM, ACM SIGCHI, USENIX
- Published extensively in the academic literature
- Frequent attendee of conferences and workshops
- Technical reviewer for CHI/CSCW conferences and journals
- Past-chair and program committee member, USENIX Tcl/Tk conferences
- Former advisory board member, Tcl/Tk Consortium